Be sure to visit my websites:
Shelley Straitiff’s Summary
I am focused on results. I believe in trying new approaches and doing what works — not just what has been done or what others are doing. I’m an entrepreneur, marketer, software executive, community-builder, dreamer, justice-seeker, small business supporter, and insomniac.
I’m also a mom. That one life-changing event has changed my views on marketing and business more than I ever could have imagined. I am hyper-aware of marketing, as an entrepreneur AND as a consumer. Being a mother and using social media has demonstrated the true power of a small group of people to create incredible results. With moms controlling over 80% of consumer spending, this power is more valuable than ever.
I’ve developed interactive sites and communities for harnessing the power of moms to influence marketing and support product development. Mompact.com brings mom business owners together to learn and support one another. MomsFlourish.com brings mom-invented products to market through social selling and fundraisers.
Specialties: Social media, product development, start-ups, corporate branding, market research, small business, entrepreneurship, and sales lead generation.
Shelley Straitiff’s Experience
Talented, driven marketing professional with entrepreneurial spirit who generates results:
- Social media strategist and integrated marketing consultant for corporate clients and small businesses
- Creator and manager of social media communities that support business functions and inspire brand evangelism
- Entrepreneur who takes initiative and sees projects through from concept to launch
- Inspired team member able to grasp complex technical concepts, develop marketing propositions, and establish strategy
- Individual contributor who utilizes excellent communications, new technology and hard work to get results
- Experienced manager in all aspects of marketing and communications:
- social media
- public relations
- budget management
- channel communications
- competitive analysis
- content creation
- brand development
- lead generation and direct mail
- shows and events
(Various clients), West Linn, OR 2002 – present
Provide contract work for corporate clients and small businesses ranging from social media planning and small business branding to business plan development, brand ambassador program management, and integrated marketing strategies.
- Envisioned, documented, and launched a brand ambassador program for a large consumer brand. Recruited hundreds of product ambassadors to share samples, provide social media content, and inspire loyalty, increasing sales by at least 5% annually for past three years.
- Developed and currently manage private communities of over 200 mother-led small businesses. Moderate communities, curate quality resources, and provide support to women entrepreneurs — increasing success rate of small businesses.
- Executed branded “Twitter parties” resulting in top-trending hashtags. Built authentic engagement and brand loyalty.
- Established new marketing and brand ambassador platform based on company-sponsored kindness projects. Initial campaign resulted in thousands of quality contributed content posts and shares across multiple social media sites.
Founder and CEO
InstantQuest, Inc., West Linn, OR 2010 – 2014
Founded and developed a software platform and marketing services company to serve small business owners and corporate clients.
- Managed all business ownership functions from accounting and hiring to marketing and sales. Selected and managed team of partners, advisors and contractors.
- Envisioned, scoped, and directed the creation of a software-as-a-service platform. Developed product plan and led software engineers based on market response and business requirements.
- Identified and funneled over 10,000 qualified panelists to the platform using only social marketing methods within the first six months of the product launch. Developed profiles and built influencer segment that included over 1200 users.
- Evolved business plan to include an ecommerce site and social selling program based on products selected from our research platform. Recruited and managed sales team of over 100 independent contractors.
- Wrote and filed a business process patent, currently under review with USPTO.
Senior Marketing Manager
YottaMark, Inc., Redwood City, CA 2006 – 2008
Defined strategy, wrote comprehensive marketing plan, and implemented integrated marketing initiatives at an energetic start-up software company.
- Researched market demand and competitive landscape for YottaMark hosted software services for a variety of industries including automotive, pharmaceuticals, electronics and fresh foods.
- Worked closely with engineering, sales and executive management to define and deliver software solutions based on market demand.
- Wrote, directed and summarized a large-scale consumer survey to demonstrate support of the company’s value proposition to its business customers and consumers.
- Launched three new products offerings including HarvestMark™. Won industry awards, achieved company recognition and mainstream media exposure, and increased qualified sales leads using creative direct marketing campaigns.
- Implemented Google Ad Words, industry cross-links, and SEO programs to increase web traffic.
Senior Manager, Strategic Communications
PowerTV (Scientific Atlanta), Cupertino, CA 2000-2001
Developed and managed a marketing communications department for a cable television software company. Responsible for outbound marketing programs and communications for B2B and consumer audiences.
- Established ownership and objectives for a marketing team and implemented department processes to ensure timely execution of corporate marketing objectives.
- Created and executed a $2.7M marketing plan, reduced reliance on outside vendors and saved over $800k in 2001.
- Developed, proposed and implemented a complex branding system for PowerTV and Scientific Atlanta products that was well-received by executives from both organizations.
- Worked with engineering to create product demos, white papers, channel strategies, sales tools, training materials used for impactful launches of software applications for interactive television.
Integrated Marketing Manager
Lynuxworks, San Jose, CA 2000
Created cross-departmental marketing programs and processes to improve corporate image and marketing effectiveness for growing embedded software company.
- Proposed and executed a comprehensive corporate and product branding strategy.
- Revised packaging for end-user software, improving company image and reducing calls to customer support.
- Wrote and produced all new sales collateral for the company, vertical markets and product lines. Managed all website content and interacted with business partners to maximize web presence.
- Proposed, coordinated and distributed an interactive demo CD for new Linux product, resulting in a dramatic increase in qualified sales leads.
Sr. Manager, North American Marketing
TakeFive Software / Integrated Systems / WindRiver, Cupertino, CA 1999 – 2000
Planned and managed all North American marketing programs and supported sales organization to increase revenues by over 100% in three quarters while reporting to international office in Austria.
- Developed integrated marketing programs for vertical and horizontal markets including web promotions, PR, events, advertising, collateral and mass mailings to target customers.
- Translated complex software offerings into value propositions that purchasing managers could understand.
- Effectively planned and managed a $1.2M marketing budget, negotiated contracts and supervised outside agencies and internal staff to obtain optimal ROI of marketing dollars.
Marketing Communications Manager
Philips Multimedia Center / Philips Electronics, Palo Alto, CA 1998 – 1999
Completed marketing services for a variety of consumer electronics groups who were launching new products.
- Collaborated with product marketing teams and senior executives to develop new product presentations.
- Wrote materials and trained facility on marketing software including PowerPoint.
- Researched, designed and proposed intranet policies and procedures for 200 users at the Center.
Marketing Communications Representative / Manager
MatriDigm Corporation, San Jose, CA 1996 – 1998
Managed all marketing communications at a fast-growing start-up software company.
- Developed and managed VAR program consisting of government and Fortune 500 companies.
- Proposed and executed a internal communications program during rapid growth, improving company morale.
San Jose State University
Bachelor of Arts in English, 1995. Minor in Creative Writing, 1995.
Post-graduate courses in Education, 2002.